Followers / Seguidores

Sunday, July 8, 2012

Googootza or Cucuzza Squash!, July 8, 2012

July 8, 2012:
Hi everyone,

I saw something which I haven't seen since I was a little girl..... "googootza" or cucuzza squash!


Our local fruit stand market had three left and I picked up one of these and bought it.  I still don't know what I will make with this but I have been looking up recipes on the internet today.
This particular squash weighed 6 pounds.  To be honest, I don't even remember how these tasted.

My parents used to grow this on their chain-link hurricane fence since it was strong enough to support the weight of this plant, especially when it started to produce squash.




We sliced it up yesterday and I only removed the seeds from about 4 of the slices.  There are a LOT of seeds in these squash!  For some reason, they remind me of teeth.  LOL.




I don't remember how my mother would prepare her squash so I need to ask her soon.  Casseroles maybe??

If anyone has any suggestions on how to cook this and growing tips for this squash, please leave me a comment below.

Have a great day and thanks for visiting my blog!   :)
Lee Ann

3 comments:

  1. Selam. Türkiyede, benim yaşadığım şehirde bu kabağın adı:" uzun kabak" tır. Fotoğrafta görünenin 2-3-4 katı büyüklüğe ulaşanlar vardır:) İnce olursa çekirdeği az olur. Şimdi çok kolay bir tarif veriyorum:
    1- Kabuklar soyulacak
    2- Çekirdekler temizlenecek
    3- Kabaklar 2-3cm eninde 2-3cm boyunda doğranacak
    4- 2-3 cm kadar küçük etler, önceden kavrulup pişirilecek.
    5- Soğanlar küçük küçük doğranıp kavrulacak.
    6- 1-2 adet sarımsak minik doğranıp soğanların içine katılacak.
    7- Tencereye önce et, sonra soğanlar, sarımsaklar konulacak.
    8- Kısık ateşte en üste kabaklar konulacak.
    9- Tuz ayarlanacak.
    10- Çok yavaş, arada karıştırarak 20-30 dakika kadar pişirilecek. Suyunu duruma göre ayarlayacaksınız.
    Umarım anlaşılır cümleler kurmuşumdur. Çeviri zor oluyor, biliyorum.
    Türkiyeden selamlar ve sevgiler gönderiyorum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only had this sliced up into small 1/4-1/2" slices and fried up in a simple flour coating. We don't eat a lot of fried food, but this is too good not to fry up along with fried yellow squash and onions. (0:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tracy,
      Thanks for posting this suggestion; I had not thought of frying it. We rarely ever fry anything either but this does sound good. Thanks again and thanks for visiting my blog. :)

      Delete

Please leave a comment; I'd love to hear from you! :)